Friday, January 13, 2006

Animal Japanese

I have a few stories of being lost in translation. On this day I was simply a hungry woman wanting some food - pork to be exact.

There are various lunch boxes that you can buy with either chicken, pork, fish or vegan. Unfortunately, I don't know many Japanese words as yet and these "lunch ladies" didn't know many English words.

So in frustration, I proceeded to say "Pork, pork, I want a pig Oink, Oink!" Luckily it worked but I later learned that pigs don't say "oink oink" here. Instead they say "buu buu".

"Wow," I thought out loud. "Do all your animals speak Japanese?"

So here are the translations:

Pig = Buu Buu (oink)
Frog = Kero Kero (ribbit)
Dog = Wan Wan (woof )
Sheep = Mee Mee (baa)
Horse = Hihiin (nay)
Cat = Nyaa Nyaa (meow)
Mouse = Chuu Chuu ( squeek)
Rooster = Kokekokko (cock a doodle doo)

It appears only cows can't speak Japanese.
But we already know they aren't the smartest animals around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been eatings frogs too?

Japanese Island Girl said...

I'm not in France silly. =P